Ithaca Children's Garden programming grows during COVID-19

On Sunday, Oct. 18, four members of the Cornell football team volunteered for Ithaca Children’s Garden (ICG) to help set up outdoor seating at Cayuga Heights Elementary School. The seating is made from logs that were donated by Gridley Hollow Sawmill, Wagner Lumber and the City of Ithaca to be used at all eight elementary schools’ outdoor learning initiative.

The football players set up the seating according to the safety guidelines determined by Ithaca Children’s Garden Executive Director and CEO Erin Marteal and landscape designer Liz Fabis, MLA.

Donated logs are set up as outdoor seating for Ithaca City School District elementary schools
Donated logs are set up as outdoor seating for Ithaca City School District elementary schools (Photo from Ithaca Children’s Garden Instagram)

ICG had to close down from March to June due to uncertainties about COVID-19. Events, such as the Scarecrow Jubilee and Tough Turtle, had to be cancelled. New programs, like Garden Connections and the Ithaca City School District’s (ICSD) outdoor learning program, have replaced the traditional gatherings.

Since reopening, Marteal said that, in general, people are abiding by social distancing and mask-wearing rules when visiting the garden.

Educational Programing

Marteal said that they are focusing on engaging with kids at a more individual level. Garden Connections is a weekly fall-themed and hands-on activity program for people ages 4-10. The weekly guide can be picked up at the garden on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3 pm – 4:30 pm and all of the supplies needed for the week are included. The subscription is a range from $6 – $22 a week, depending on a family’s financial status. According to ICG’s website, families that qualify for federal free or reduced lunch prices can subscribe for $30 for 10 weeks or $15 for 5 weeks. The last week of the fall-based program is November 18, 2020.

Marteal said she hopes to extend that program for the winter and summer as well as provide curriculum-related themes to elementary school teachers.

Volunteering

Ithaca Children’s Garden Facilities Manager Jean Gerow said that the main problem with grounds upkeep during coronavirus is finances. ICG is a non-profit organization, so it relies on donations and grants to continue operating. Camp and large event cancellations decreased their operating budget by 50 percent, Marteal said.

Volunteers have still been eager to help since reopening. However, Gerow said that there cannot be large groups volunteering, in order to prevent the spread of COVID.

At the district’s eight elementary schools, ICG is helping to create a safe environment for teachers and students so that there can be an increase in the amount of time spent outside, even during the winter.

Marteal said that ICG wants to help teachers determine “seasonally what is an appropriate lesson…to make those curricular connections.”

Members of the Cornell football team sit on logs they helped set up
Members of the Cornell football team sit on logs they helped set up (Photo from Ithaca Children’s Garden Instagram)

Cornell University football players Kyle Neputy, RaSean Thomas and Connor Garrahy, enjoyed their time volunteering.

“With 20 guys we could have gotten this done in 5-10 minutes, but with 4 guys it took a little long, but we still got the job done,” Thomas said.

The players liked the idea of having outside classes and were happy to help, especially because of how elementary school kids’ education is being impacted by coronavirus. ICSD resumed in-person learning for elementary school students on Monday, October 5.

“We know how important community is. Especially when it’s elementary school kids…it’s more important for them because they are all so young,” Garrahy said.

The volunteer season is winding down as the garden is mostly prepared for winter, Gerow explained. ICG is planning programming for the next year that will adhere to COVID guidelines. Gerow and Marteal said they do not think they will have to close the garden again because of how much more is known about stopping the spread of the virus.

“Our approach right now is to kind of keep our knees bent and stay low and flexible and adaptable and kind of ready to be responsive, but also proactive to the extent that we can be,” Marteal said.

(Photo by Tessie Devlin/Ithaca Week)
View Comments (1)