The Spotted Lanternfly lands in Ithaca

Egg masses of the Spotted Lanternfly (SLF), native to Asia, have been spotted in Ithaca, New York. The masses were first documented by an entomology student at Cornell University, according to Brian Eshenaur, New York State Integrated Pest Management (NYSIPM) Senior Extension Associate for Ornamental Crops.

The invasive species most likely arrived in Ithaca through vehicle transportation, Chris Logue, New York Department of Agriculture and Markets Director of the Division of Plant Industry, explained.

The species first appeared in the United States in Pennsylvania in 2014 through the trade of stone. The egg masses are grey in color, so they can easily blend in with a lot of different objects.

“That’s the life stage that I think poses…greatest risk of long distance movement,” said Logue.

Map of Spotted Lantenrfly in the Northeastern US, as of December 7, 2020.

Over the six years since first being spotted in Pennsylvania, the species has spread to other parts of the Northeastern US, including NJ and Delaware. It was first spotted in NY on Staten Island over the summer of 2020, Eshenaur said.

Detection

Once there has been a reported instance of either egg masses or adult SLF, New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets sends survey teams to investigate the scope of the insects.

Logue said they initially start by searching within a quarter of a mile around where the species was first sighted. This involves looking at every host plant within that zone. A half mile buffer is included in the search. If they are found in that buffer zone, then the search is expanded further. This is necessary to determine how widespread the outbreak is.

So far, the species has only been found locally on a few trees on one property, Ithaca City Forester Jeanne Grace said.

Impact on Agriculture

The species are a nuisance pest. Therefore, they cannot harm humans.

Adult Spotted Lanternfly on a tree (Credit: Brian Eshenaur)

“Although it’s kind of big, almost an inch long, it does not bite, it does not sting,” explained Eshenaur. “So first thing is, you know, we don’t want to panic, and it’s not going to kill your trees.”

However, SLF can negatively impact agricultural industries, specifically grapes and hops. This is the main concern in Ithaca due to the Finger Lakes agricultural industries and beverage industries.

As SLF eat, they suck the sap out of plants and leave a sweet, sugary substance on the fruit leaves, called honeydew. It is a black material that decreases photosynthesis, Logue said. This causes grapes to have lower sugar content, which could decrease the quality of wine, and can change the flavor of hops.

Eshenaur and NYSIPM have been providing educational resources about the species. The primary focus is sharing information with educators, gardeners and farmers who are anticipated to be mostly negatively impacted.

Treatment Process

SLF likes to be around the Tree of Heaven and other similar surfaces. Trap trees might be created if there is a large amount of eggs on one tree. The pesticides would be injected into the roots of the tree, killing the species. This would only be helpful for killing the SLF on one tree, not with completely eradicating the species.

“They definitely prefer certain trees, but they will lay their eggs on the sides of buildings, or on car bumpers, or outdoor grills or patio furniture,” said Grace.

Eshenaur said discussions about ways to maintain SLF, including researching a treatment plan that does not involve pesticides, is in the works. Cornell Professor of Entomology Ann Hajek is working on biological control with this insect, using natural fungi.

Adults and egg masses on a tree (Credit: Brian Eshenaur)

In other areas with SLF outbreaks, people have been creating home remedies to try and kill the bugs, such as using a mixture of dish detergent and baking soda. However, that is considered an illegal use of pesticides, Eshenaur noted.

People should follow state guidelines for pesticide use, if actions are necessary. As of right now, such usage is not needed in Ithaca. Eshenaur stated that guidelines will be released to New York State residents when it becomes a concern.

Logue said that the best way to help is, if you think you see a grown spotted lanternfly or egg masses, take a picture and fill out a public sighting report. That is the most effective way to determine the scope of the SLF in Ithaca and other areas in NY.