Ice, lights and chowder

Six-foot-tall blocks of ice will become works of art. A competition of who has the best chowder in Ithaca. Silent discos hosted by six of the region’s favorite DJs. ‘Sparky’ the unicorn will be back on the Commons.

Downtown Ithaca Alliance (DIA) now hosting the 15th annual and newly rebranded “Ice and Lights Festival” for two weekends Dec. 2 through Dec. 10.

A fresh face

For the past five years, the DIA hosted a lights festival after facing obstacles keeping beloved ice sculptures from melting. Scott Rougeau, Special Events Director at DIA cited rising temperatures as the reason for the switch.

Pictured Scott Rougeau. Photo by Desiree Holz/ Ithaca Week.
“We ran into a few years in a row where it was 50 degrees. They had to break down the ice bar, put it back in a refrigerated truck overnight and hope that it was salvageable the next day,” said Rougeau. “The festival was great, but the ice didn’t last at all.”

Back by popular demand

Despite temperature concerns, Rougeau and his team have chosen to bring back ice to this year’s festivities.

“We made the switch to lights. Ever since we did, people have been asking for ice to come back, small rumbles here and there,” said Rougeau. “It’s upstate New York. It gets cold, ice is kind of our thing.”

DIA staff are working with The Ice Farm from Jordan, New York to supply and maintain the ice sculptures.

“We will have a refrigeration truck and dry ice, but I think it’s important that people understand that this is temporary art,” said Rougeau.

For Stan Kolonko, president of The Ice Farm, these types of outdoor winter events are what his team does all winter long. Kolonko collaborated with the DIA for past festivals and is thrilled to be a part of this year’s gathering.

Pictured Stan Kolonko. Photo by Desiree Holz/ Ithaca Week.

“I am so happy they brought it back. It was kind of heartbreaking when they took it away completely,” said Kolonko. “I knew that people that came every year were going to miss it and I think they did.”

The Ice Farm is busy this week preparing carvers from across the US. to aid in their ice efforts. Kolonko and his fellow artists will be providing all the ice attendees will see during the festival.

Ice sculpture at The Ice Farm. Photo by Desiree Holz/ Ithaca Week.

Local help
Attendance and all entertainment provided during the festival are free and open to the public. Partially because of Maguire Hyundai Subaru Ithaca, the car dealership has taken the new role of this year’s title sponsor for the festival. Cory Olivaris, general manager of Maguire Hyundai Subaru Ithaca approached the DIA seeking to take on greater responsibility in sponsorship.

Pictured Cory Olivaris. Photo by Desiree Holz/ Ithaca Week.

“We asked what kind of events don’t have a title sponsor and we told them we would take anything we can get,” said Olivaris. “We just wanted to do anything possible to give back to the community.”

Ithaca is different

The DIA believes that despite potentially warm temperatures, the festivities will draw a crowd.

“I always think people are looking for one last excuse to get out and enjoy some fresh air before we hunker down in hibernation for the winter,” said Rougeau.

He added that hosting festivals during the winter months is a part of what makes Ithaca the community it is.

“Not just our events downtown but the community at large is so active and so community-driven,” Rougeau said. “There’s so many causes to support and many reasons to celebrate, I think that’s one of the most attractive things to Ithaca, the community celebration.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6U4oF4c8qo