Sewing for a better climate

SewGreen wants to change society’s impression of what reuse means.

SewGreen’s store (Source: Maddie Miele/Ithaca Week).

How did SewGreen start?

A door chimes when a customer enters SewGreen. Immediately, they are presented with many different patterns and colors. 

Founded in 2007, by Wendy Skinner, SewGreen is a local business that reuses and resells fabric, yarn and sewing machines. After moving from Cayuga Street in September 2022, it is now located at 112 W. Green Street at Press Bay Court in Ithaca. 

“The concept for SewGreen actually started in my living room with a group of like-minded women,” Skinner said. “A few men have been involved, but mostly SewGreen is the product of the thinking of women.”

Skinner said Sew Green was founded when the sustainability movement was starting in Ithaca. 

“I realized that I had to do something to feel that I was part of this,” Skinner said. “So I quit my day job and founded and started SewGreen with a group of volunteers.”

Why reuse?

After attending meetings for the movement, she started researching how to create a business around such a stigmatized term like reuse. 

“Fifteen to 17 years ago, reuse meant a funky Salvation Army, it meant smells, it meant messes,” Skinner said. “The way we compete with new products and help change people’s minds about reuse is by presenting it in the most beautiful way possible.” 

Skinner said she narrowed it down to the reuse of sewing materials because she wanted to work with women. 

SewGreen’s Gallery Night (Source: SewGreen Instagram).

“I wanted to attract a diverse constituency and that seemed easy to do because it was based around a common interest,” Skinner said.

What does SewGreen offer?

SewGreen offers materials for crafting but specifically sewing, knitting and crocheting. 

Frequent SewGreen customer and Ithaca local, Nora Marcus-Hecht, said she buys materials for her various crocheting projects.

Marcus-Hecht’s current project (Source: Nora Marcus-Hecht).

“I’ve never gone in there knowing exactly what I’m looking for. It’s always like, oh let’s see what SewGreen has to offer,” Marcus-Hecht said. “Then I see their yarn and I’m like, oh my gosh I could make this with that.” 

SewGreen is partnered with Eileen Fisher Renew, a clothing line that takes back garments to clean and resell.”

“Through personal contacts, we became an outlet for that clothing as it fits in with our reuse ethics and our working with women and sewing,” Skinner said.  

Also, SewGreen has their Reuse Intake Policy and a sewing machine repair service.

SewGreen programs

For more than 10 years, SewGreen has been running five-week summer camp programs for children, ages 9 through 15.

SewGreen offers private lessons, as well as knitting, sewing and crochet classes. 

“We sort of cater to what I call ‘the endless stream of beginners,’” Skinner said. 

Skinner said by being in a college town, students come in eager to use another part of their brain.

“We like to say that we teach sewing as a lifetime skill,” Skinner said. “We just want to have you graduate and be able to go home and start making stuff.”

SewGreen’s future

Skinner started this business at age 60, a time when some people are retiring, she is ready to do the same now. 

Skinner at her desk (Source: Maddie Miele/Ithaca Week).

“But I want to try to leave a legacy for SewGreen for the community,” Skinner said. 

Skinner said she is still in the early stages of this process. She is meeting with friends and advisors to figure out the best path. 

“What I didn’t expect from SewGreen is that it would become such a community resource,” Skinner said. “I can’t just close the doors, that might happen, but I can’t in good conscience do that. I need to let the community know and see if someone else wants to pick it up.” 

SewGreen’s atmosphere is what customers remember and look forward to the next time they shop. 

“The environment there is always friendly,” Marcus-Hecht said. “I’m always able to ask for help if I need it and I don’t feel intimidated there like you do with big box craft stores.”