Tradition Rings On: The Legacy of the Cornell Chimes

KEY POINTS:

• The tradition of the Cornell Chimes started in 1868, three years after Cornell University was founded in 1865.
  • Today the chimes are played by approximately eight chimesmasters.
  • The chimes music library holds over 2,000 pieces of sheet music.
  • To see one of the chimesmasters in action, click here.

Whether you’re walking around Cornell University in the morning, afternoon, or evening, you’re likely to hear chimes coming from McGraw Tower, one of the oldest buildings on the university’s campus. The first bell from the tower rang October 7th, 1868, and the tower will celebrate 150 years of operation in Fall 2018. It preserves traditional roots through repertoire such as Bach. But today, it also plays popular music such as Grateful Undead and Lady Gaga.

Meet The Chimesmasters

Cornell Chimesmaster Billie Sun ’19, left, and Cornell Head Chimesmaster John Lee ’18, right, are interviewed on the second floor of McGraw Tower.

Becoming a Cornell Chimesmaster means taking part in a ten-week audition process. Billie Sun has been a chimesmaster for a year and a half, and John Lee has been one for a little over three years.

Sun first heard about the chimes through one of Cornell’s campus tours.

“I went up the tower, everyone does, and I thought it was super cool. It was kind of in the back of my mind, and then I got an email about auditioning for the chimes,” Sun said. “The rest is history.”

Lee remembers walking around campus his first year and hearing one of the chimesmasters’ public concerts.

“We play free concerts while class is in session. So when I heard one of the concerts, I climbed up the tour and was curious to see who was running the concerts,” Lee said.  “After I learned I could become a chimesmaster, I wanted to take the opportunity.”

See The Chimes

The Chimesmaster’s clavier, located on the eighth floor of McGraw Tower.

When it comes to repertoire, anyone can make a song request. But Sun and Lee have personal favorites they’ve enjoyed playing on the chimes.

“For a solo, I love playing ‘In Dreams’ from Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring,” Lee said.

“I recently learned ‘Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You” by Frankie Valli and it’s so fun,” Sun said.

Lee said he has to plan three weeks in advance in order for the chimes schedule to be properly filled.  All concerts are open to the public, as long as you’re willing to walk the 161-steps to the top of McGraw Tower.

Watch The Chimes

In addition to holding the chimes, McGraw Tower’s other rooms used to be exclusively for storing Cornell Library’s extra books. Though the fourth and fifth floors are still used for some form of storage, the tower also holds a grandfather clock and a practice room for chimesmasters to rehearse their music.

On Sept. 26, Junior Sonya Chyu held one of her first chimes concerts. In order to prepare for her performances, she practices her chimes pieces through the practice clavier located on third floor of McGraw Tower.

This video captures her rehearsal process and why she became involved with the Cornell Chimes tradition.

For more information on the Cornell chimes, check out their website.