Rumbling and Tumbling for a Cause

Ithaca College Wrestling Team gets set to take on rival SUNY Cortland alongside their gymnastics team

Key Points

• First time two Ithaca College sports teams have worn the pink IC United for Her shirts for simultaneous event.
  • First time Ithaca College Gymnastics beat SUNY Cortland since 2012
  • Ithaca College Wrestling posted their first shutout of the season and extended win streak to 9

“Its an encouragement. Seeing all the fans in the audience and having the wrestlers do their thing the same time as us definitely hyped us up more and made it more exciting.” – Kendra Balcerak, Senior Gymnast at Ithaca College

We Did It All for Her

In addition to the gymnastics and wrestling teams putting on a display of dominance, they did it while supporting a cause.

For the first time ever, on the same night, in the same venue, two Ithaca College sports teams wore the pink shirts in solidarity and support for, United for Her. A club organized and run by students at Ithaca College to support and raise money for breast cancer awareness and research.

“Its cool to be able to wear the pink shirts and support a cause that is really important to this community.” Jake O’Brien said.

During the event, the club helped raise money for their cause by selling shirts and other merchandise.

A New Standard of Tumbling

For the Ithaca College Gymnastics team, their competition against SUNY Cortland saw them posting a 190.825, the second highest team score of the season. For the second week in a row, Ithaca improved their overall team score on the uneven bars, this time with a score of 47.550 which set another new program record

Ithaca Women's Gymnastics: Uneven Bars
Photographed by: Kenneth Bradley

To start off the meet, Ithaca posted a season high vault score of 47.575. Here, Carolyn Nichols of Ithaca placed second scoring a 9.700. Baylie Trammel stuck it to her competition on the uneven bars as she dominated the event posting a score of 9.700.

On the balance beam, Ithaca swept away the Red Dragons as the Bombers took all five of the top scores. Led by junior Nina Bustamante who controlled her way to a score of 9.750, none of Ithaca’s top five scored less than a 9.450 in the event.

Floor, the final event of the day saw Ithaca place three of the top scores in the event. Once again Nichols set the pace for the Bombers as she won with a 9.725. Trammel was stellar once again as she tied freshman, Alexis Griffin, scoring a 9.600.

Rumbling Til’ the End

In the second half of Ben Light Gymnasium, the Ithaca College Wrestling team also performed in an impressive manner. Ranked #3 as a team, the Bombers have had a season of success and the match against SUNY Cortland continued it.

Ithaca did not surrender a single bout to the Red Dragons and came out with a 46-0 win. This was the first shutout of the season, and ninth win in a row for the Bombers.

With bonus points in six of the ten bouts, Ithaca put up their second highest scoring output of the season. Winning by fall at 165, 197 and 285; the Bombers were locked in.

Ithaca College Wrestling
Photographed by: Kenneth Bradley

At 165, Senior Captain Nick Velez, ranked fourth nationally, picked up his tenth pin of the season. Ranked first nationally at 184, Jake Ashcraft battled his way to his 15thpin of the season. Junior Jake O’Brien, ranked third nationally, capped off the match and dual season with a pin for the Bombers.