Elections 2018: O'Mara vs. Kirchgessner for NY Senate 58th District

(Left) Democratic Nominee, Amanda Kirchgessner; (Right) Republican Nominee, Sen. Tom O'Mara
(Left) Democratic Nominee, Amanda Kirchgessner; (Right) Republican Nominee, Sen. Tom O’Mara

Incumbent Republican Senator Tom O’Mara is being challenged by Democratic nominee Amanda Kirchgessner in the race for New York Senate’s 58th district. O’Mara and Kirchgessner squared off during a forum last week at the Enfield Grange in Tompkins County, one of few confirmed appearances the two candidates will make together. The forum allowed audience members to ask questions of the two candidates. Questions ranged across all corners of politics from abortion and the environment to food security and sexual abuse.

It was Kirchgessner’s first public appearance since rescinding all of her nominations after intense scrutiny from local Democratic committees. A few days prior to the forum, Kirchgessner told Capital Tonight’s Liz Benjamin that she is now identifying as a “progressive Republican.” She has maintained allegations of domestic abuse levied by her ex-wife in a report by The Ithaca Times are false, and a one-sided character assassination. The topic did not come up at the forum.

Healthcare

O’Mara

O’Mara is at odds with his opponent who favors a state-run single-payer healthcare system under the New York Health Act. This type of system would establish insurance coverage with no copays, deductibles or premiums for New Yorkers.

He believes the cost of such a plan would balloon the state budget upwards of $100 million, and would require a major rise in state taxes. O’Mara added that if a single-payer plan is going to be implemented, it needs to start at the federal level. The New York Health Act has passed in the State Assembly several times, but has failed to be approved by the Republican-held Senate.

Kirchgessner

Kirchgessner believes single payer healthcare, such as that established under the New York Health Act would provide health coverage across the board and raise the state’s quality of care to match that of other rich countries. She argues that costs associated with rising taxes would be made up for by decreasing burdens on small business owners who then wouldn’t have to provide employees with coverage.

Food Security

O’Mara

The Senator asserts he’s worked to garner state funding for the Food Bank of the Southern Tier- one of the region’s food safety net programs. He helped secure a state tax credit of up to $5,000 to farmers who donate food to local food banks.

Kirchgessner

Kirchgessner, herself a client and volunteer at the Enfield Food Pantry, wants to develop programs to keep agricultural products within the community. She believes the state could facilitate a way in which farmers could sell products to local schools to support free and reduced lunch programs.

The Environment

O’Mara

For the last five years, O’Mara has chaired the NY Senate Environmental Conservation Committee. He’s prioritized modernizing the state’s energy generation, focusing on storage facilities. O’Mara is in favor of natural gas and nuclear energy, but also backs development of solar, wind and hydroelectric power generation.

Kirchgessner

Kirchgessner believes the Finger Lakes region’s access to clean water will keep the area attractive for agricultural and economic development as sea levels continue to rise. She said preparing the region for an influx of people while preventing minimal environmental impact should be a priority.

Abortion

O’Mara

O’Mara described himself a more “right to life” leaning. He said at the forum that he doesn’t see an immediate threat to abortion rights under Roe v. Wade in the New York State legislature. However, he did assert that he fully believes people should have easy access to all forms of contraception and birth control.

Kirchgessner

Kirchgessner backs abortion rights, but hopes that other forms of birth control and contraception would be available and prioritized before abortion.

View Comments (2)