Canines in Costume

Sitter Carly Hoffmann dressing pup-in-training Bonita backstage at the show. (Emily Cartwright/Ithaca Week)

Saxbie arrived at Ithaca College’s Emerson Suites on Thursday full of energy and ready to strut the runway. She slipped into her favorite red puffer coat adorned with a fur collar that framed her small face. She nervously paced in circles backstage as other models flooded in and planned what to wear for their own walks. Saxbie is not, in fact, a professional model, but a 4-month-old yellow lab puppy being trained through Guiding Eyes for the Blind, an organization that provides guide dogs for people who are visually impaired.

Saxbie was one of 8 dogs who walked the runway March 7 during the first Puppy Fashion Show. Guiding Eyes for the Blind and HiFashion Studios, two vastly different student organizations at IC, teamed up to organize this event,  which raised money for the Guiding Eyes program on campus.

“You don’t usually see dogs on a runway so I think that’s going to be a lot of fun,” said Phoebe Ertel, president of HiFashion Studios, as she prepared her team for the event.

“I think it’s cool to see our models incorporated as well, showing a bit more of the fashion side. Whereas the dogs will be in costumes which are definitely more cute and lighthearted.”

The HiFashion models kicked off the show by stepping out in all-black ensembles before switching over to more fun, colorful outfits in the second round. The dogs alternated walks with the ‘human’ models and showed off their costumes. They also whipped out a few tricks so they would be rewarded with treats from their raisers’ ‘treat pouches.’

Raisers are responsible for training dogs prior to the formal stage of guide dog training with professionals at Guiding Eyes for the Blind.

Prior to their tests, pups participate in a socialization period that gives them the exposure to be confident working service dogs in the future.

“My job is basically to support all of our members at the club and to accept the support of all the sitters and raisers I receive from raising my puppy, Elaine,” said Sam Epstein, a raiser with IC’s Guiding Eyes.

“I raised a puppy my sophomore year,” added Epstein. “She just graduated as a guide puppy so it’s really cool to be able to do it again and be able to work with a community that I’m a part of.”

Guiding Eyes for the Blind initially reached out to HiFashion Studios in the hopes that the group could collaborate for this fundraiser. Ertel and the rest of her executive board were quick to say yes.

“We were so excited to help out,” said Ertel. “I think people consider us the ‘fashion experts’ on campus so, with our help, this event was able to become something really special. But maybe I’m just biased,” she said jokingly.

“I knew this would be a great way to get involved in the campus community and share some of our group’s expertise about fashion with another club.”

Saxbie with her raiser on stage at the Puppy Fashion Show, held March 8 in Emerson Suites. (Emily Cartwright/Ithaca Week)

Some of the puppies’ costumes included an ice cream cone, a lion, and a full tuxedo complete with a top hat.

The show also featured a few dogs from the Guiding Eyes program at Cornell, including Saxbie who totally stole the show and the attendees’ hearts.

“We’ve been working with her for about two months now,” said Jonny Augarten, Saxbie’s co-raiser.

“I mean, look at this face,” he added as he gave Saxbie a loving chin rub before her on-stage debut. “[Working with Guiding Eyes] is just 100 percent worth it.”