The Drought Continues: Affects Local Farmers

Not only is Tompkins County in a drought, but 24 counties in the state of New York are currently in varying degrees of natural disasters.

The severe drought has been going on since late spring when a high-pressure system sat over the area for a prolonged period of time.

A high-pressure system is a region of high-pressure air moving counterclockwise. It is also called an anticyclone. High-pressure systems are usually larger and last for a long period of time. What is the most important fact about high-pressure systems for Ithacans? They cause the area affected to be dry and virtually clear skies.

The result is that the area now gets skipped over or just graced by any rain storms coming its way.

Hartley, who keeps his eyes on the radar, said that he has seen storms go around the counties.

“I’ve seen one actually come up and into Pennsylvania and make a ninety degree turn,” Hartley said.

A recent press release by the City of Ithaca stated that the drought will continue for the foreseeable future.

Farmers and residents have been told to conserve water, even more than in the past couple of months. Posters around town and college campuses suggest cutting showers shorter and turning the water off while washing dishes and brushing teeth.

Conservation is even more important now that students from colleges and universities in the affected counties have returned for the school year; increasing the population and water demand by a noticeable amount.

Eddydale Farm Stand manager Stephen Eddy is taking the situation into his own hands by drilling a well to be their main water source. He also plans on renting out his land to pay for the costs.

“I may be making a deal to lease a lot of our prime land for solar panels,” Eddy said.

Whether it’s conserving water or drilling a well, the drought will have a long lasting effect on the area.