Dealing with Disabilities through Assistive Technology

Courtesy of the Finger Lakes Independence  Center website.
Courtesy of the Finger Lakes Independence Center website.
By Tiarra Braddock and Sharon Mejia

Have you ever wondered how modern technology can help people with disabilities? The Finger Lakes Independence Center, FLIC, in Ithaca has launched a five-part workshop series named “Powering Up Your Potential: Adaptive Devices and Assistive Tech”. These kind of workshops aim to inform people about technology that can assist people with disabilities to live more independently, without any barriers.

The first workshop of the series was on Sept. 23 and it was a screening of the documentary “Freedom Machines.” This documentary tells the stories of individuals with disabilities who have overcome challenges with the help of technology and being educated on it.

Rachel Ferrara, FLIC’s advocacy specialist explained the kind of services FLIC offers and how they benefit people with disabilities.

“So we have kitchen devices, we have things for blind and low-vision users, we have dressing equipment and it’s amazing what a difference you can make for someone when you give them something as simple as a jar opener, because that means they can get food for themselves or get a drink for themselves  and it really makes someone’s day…”

Larry Roberts, director of community advocacy,  explained how FLIC provides aid services and is a great first stop for people who have a disability.

I think we are seen as the place where people come if they have any kind of disability or disability questions.I like to say that if we don’t know an answer, we know who knows… We also provide a number of aid services for people who need help in their homes. We do a lot of educational activities like Rachel is putting together this afternoon…”

The next workshop will be held on Oct 7 at FLIC and will focus on durable medical equipment that supports mobility, safety, health and wellness in the community.